HEALTH BENEFITS OF HOT TUBS, SWIM SPAS AND SWIMMING POOLSPosted: March 9, 2022
Owning a hot tub, swim spa or swimming pool is often associated with quality time with friends and family. However, owning one of the three options can also increase your quality of life. Owning a pool or spa can help you in various ways, from exercising to hydrotherapy. This article will go over the health benefits you can have if you own a hot tub, swim spa or swimming pool in your backyard.
The Health Benefits of Hot Tubs
Hot tubs are usually seen as luxury items for people to spend time with their loved ones. It also improves the aesthetic and overall value of the house. However, owning a hot tub can offer more than you think. A hot tub is beneficial in various ways for your health.
Owning a hot tub can help you:
- Relieve stress: After a long day at work, there is nothing better than spending a few minutes unwinding in a comfortable environment. Having a hot tub creates a personal space for you to not worry about anything that is happening in your life and focus on yourself and your well-being.
- Exercise: apart from relaxing, your hot tub can be used to exercise. The water provides extra resistance to your muscles without the high impact of other exercises such as running.
- Sleep better: spending time in a hot tub can help you relax and decompress from a stressful day, making you sleep better throughout the night.
- Relieve muscle tension: the hot tub’s warm water temperature can also help your muscles to unwind after an injury or a hard day at work. You can also use the powerful but gentle jets from the hot tub to massage specific areas of your body.
- Relieve joint pain: if you suffer from joint pain such as fibromyalgia or arthritis, spending time in a hot tub can help you ease that pain. The buoyancy of the water allows your joints to relax and move without the normal pressure of your body weight.
- Perform hydrotherapy: you can also use the water’s buoyancy to engage in hydrotherapy. Hydrotherapy is the act of using water as a treatment for different conditions. You can use hydrotherapy to recover faster from surgery, recover from a heavy workout, or increase the strength of your muscles.
- Practice aromatherapy: aromatherapy is the act of using aromatic materials, including essential oils, to help your psychological and physical well-being. This pseudoscience is known for reducing dress, anxiety, and depression. You can use hot-tub-specific essential oils to relax your body and mind.
Hot tubs can also help you:
- Spend time with your spouse
- Create designated family time
- Increase your property’s value
- Properly enjoy the winter
The Health Benefits of Swimming Pools
Swimming pools are a perfect option for those with a bigger backyard and are often seen as the preferred playground for children and teenagers. However, owning a swimming pool can bring you unnoticed health benefits.
Owning a swimming pool can help you:
- Lose and maintain weight: according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, a 154-pound person burns around 255 calories after swimming for 30 minutes. Swimming is a great way to burn calories throughout the week without putting additional strain on your muscles or lower back.
- Have a fast recovery: since swimming is a low-impact sport, it can also be used to recover from an injury or surgery without worrying about any additional strains on your body. The buoyancy of the water takes away the added weight your muscles and joints feel when you’re standing up.
- Improve flexibility: flexibility is an important aspect of life that is usually overlooked. It strengthens and sculpts your muscles. The buoyancy of the water also helps you to stretch more comfortably and effectively, since you don’t have the extra weight on your muscles.
- Improve your cardiovascular health: swimming is a popular type of exercise indicated by doctors due to the low impact it provides. This means that you can swim without risking injuries. In comparison to higher impact exercises like running, swimming allows you to perform better without worries of injuring your joints.
- Improve strength and stamina: swimming is a full-body workout, making you move your entire body at once. It targets both your primary and secondary muscles.
- Relieve stress: owning a swimming pool can relieve physical and mental stress. The water relieves a significant amount of pressure from your body, helping reduce the physical stress your body is under. Swimming also can better your mood and unwind after a tiring day, providing you a haven for you to decompress and relax.
Swimming pools can also help you:
- Have a designated area for socializing with friends and family
- Have a convenient way of exercising without paying for a gym membership or public pools
- Increase the overall value of your property
Owning a swimming pool can benefit you and your family in many ways. You can use it for hydrotherapy, exercising and socializing. It’s also convenient to have your pool and not go to public pools. It’s also a good way to learn how to swim and to practice a low-impact exercise.
The Health Benefits of Swim Spas
A swim spa is a perfect mix between a swimming pool and a hot tub. It allows you to relax and destress while also giving you enough space to exercise. It is also the perfect choice for those looking for hydrotherapy. A swim spa, thus, brings the benefits of a swimming pool and a hot tub together.
Owning a swim spa can help you:
- Improve your quality of life: soaking in a swim spa regularly can result in a variety of health benefits. By spending half an hour every day at your swim spa, you can notice an improvement in your sleep schedule and muscle aches, allowing you to fully decompress after a day of work.
- Decrease overall stress: you can use your swim spa as a personal safe space to stop thinking about everyday problems. Floating in the water can give you a sense of peacefulness, while the buoyancy eases the weight your joints and muscles carry throughout the day.
- Recover faster from injuries: owning a swim spa can help you recover faster from injuries due to the water’s ability to make you float. While swimming, your body carries less weight and therefore allows your muscles to fully relax while also providing a type of physical exercise.
- Treat illnesses like fibromyalgia, arthritis, and more: the warm water from your swim spa can help you treat different illnesses in a way that you couldn’t before. The warm water reduces stiffness and relaxing joints, and continuous exposure to warm water and gentle exercise can help decrease the pain.
- Practice hydrotherapy: hydrotherapy is a way to use water to improve your health. It is also known as water therapy and it can involve different treatments such as foot baths, steam baths, and more. Practicing hydrotherapy can be beneficial for people who suffer from back pain, arthritis, obesity, physical disability, and advanced age. It can also be used for athletes after a heavy workload to help with the recovery process.
- Lose and maintain weight: a swim spa provides the same benefits as a swimming pool because it is big enough for you to partake in light physical activities. Owning a swim spa, then, can help you start exercising without adding unnecessary impact on your joints and muscles.
Swim spas can also help you:
- Increase the quality of family time
- Provide a spot to hang out with friends
- Increase your property’s overall market value
- Save money from owning a gym membership
Welcome to WCI Pools & Spas
Owning a hot tub, swim spa, or swimming pool can greatly increase your quality of life. These items, apart from their social status, can provide a multitude of ways for you to destress and maintain a healthy lifestyle. From relaxing in a hot tub to exercising in a swimming pool, owning any of these relaxing amenities can significantly increase your quality of life.
Visit our blog to read other articles or our owner resources section for more information. Take your wellness and life quality to the next level and consult our experts at WCI Pools & Spas. We have two showrooms located in Ames and Urbandale, Iowa to best meet your needs.
We specialize in a range of home and backyard leisure products, including:
Visit your nearest showroom today to take a more proactive approach to your health, home and lifestyle.